Thursday, April 1, 2010

Modular Madness

For my Modular Madness project, I used receipts that I've collected myself in the past year, and those that have been collected and donated from others. I took a suggestion and decided to make a wallet with a strap and pockets. I would've added decals such as credit cards, but I was phased by time as an issue and wasn't able to do so. My process began with a question on how to make the wallet, and decided to make a base of two cardboard pieces to hold the receipts better, since they are fairly delicate. I glued the receipt cover in a random order, starting with spray glue, (which left an odd texture), and then moved on to glue stick, and then combined a the two pieces with a layer of receipts to allow it the opening-closing function of a wallet. For the strap, I made a base with duck tape and shaped it accordingly, then tapered it in a similar fashion to the wallet base except with the color-sides showing to give it some 'style.' In order to allow the strap to contain the wallet, as well as be able to open and close, I applied Velcro, (which posed some problems do to the delicate nature of the receipts, and therefore had to make another layer). And finally, for the inside of the wallet, I made pockets with a base of tape and construction paper, and cut it accordingly to give the pockets the definition they needed to allow space inside them.


During the critique, I allowed my classmates the ability to interact with it, and asked for any chunk change to be disposed of into the wallet. I didn't make any money or any sympathy for, technically, having the most expensive project of the class, but they did like the fact that they could interact with my project. They say, however, that otherwise it would've been boring.



No comments:

Post a Comment